Sunday, June 8, 2008

MANGOES

People say the best time in The Gambia is mango season which I recently experienced. Everywhere I look there are mangoes of different shapes, colors and sizes. I am told there are so many mangoes that most go to waste, but in my village that is not the case. When a mango falls, the kids burst off running because they go by the finders keepers rules. If they are too slow, a nearby cow may gobble it up instead. It is almost as if the kids have a sixth sense. They are off and running before my mind processes the thud. Therefore, I have never made it to a mango first, but the kids in my compound will give me some.
They were posing for a picture when a mango dropped and off they went.

One night I was sitting in the middle of my compound with my family when I heard a thud and clang on the corrugate metal roof. The kids took off running. I had no idea what happened to make them run; then I realized a mango had fallen from the tree, bounced off the roof, and landed on the floor. Since they had no flashlight, they couldn't find it. A little later one of the elder sisters joined the hunt with a flashlight. Then someone found it; and ate it.

At first I was nervous to eat mangoes because I used to have an allergic reaction to the mango skin. After a few weeks I decided to go for it; it was too tempting. Now I know why none go to waste in my village. They are really good. My record is five in one day and so far no allergic reactions.

No comments: