Thursday, December 6, 2007

Kombo

My time in Kombo is coming to a end. Today is my swearing in ceremony where I become a real Peace Corps Volunteer. Every month or so I should come to Kombo to take money out of the bank, check e-mail, stock up on food, or hang out with other Peace Corps volunteers. We stay a short distance from the beach, and it is relaxing to go for a swim or walk along the sand. I am fortunate to be near a beach instead of a land locked country.
To get from my site to Kombo or anywhere else in the country, I travel by gele-gele or bush taxi. They are these big vans where the drivers cram people tightly together. In a seat where they should fit four they put five. The geles are in two conditions; old and falling apart. Traveling back from my site I rode with another Peace Corps trainee. We bounced around on the road squished between people with our bags on our laps. I have to pay extra to put a bag on top, so I try to take a small enough bag to carry. The main north bank road is newly paved which is a miracle because most roads are in bad shape. Only a few roads are paved, but it is often smoother to drive next to the road than through the potholes.



1 comment:

Daniel Schwabe said...

Hi Alex,
I hope you get this message before you head out.
It is really nice to hear your experiences, even if we don't comment on all of them.
As I read your stories, I am reminded of the time I used to rent a fisherman's shack in Saquarema, where we went to surf on the weekends. At that time, the conditions were in many respects similar, in spite of being so close to Rio. For instance, no electricity or running water, very little public transportation, etc... but we had fun...
I hope your experience at your village will be a positive one, good luck.
Of course, let us know if you need anything!

[]s
Dindo Danny